Made with GIMP 10.2.2 Might be translatable not sure and you should have some basic-medium knowledge of The GIMP.
1. Sharpen your base with 30 power. I find that with darker images sharpening with a little higher power helps with the detail in the end result. Result=
2. Duplicate your base once. You want to set your duplicated base to Equalize. Layer->Colors->Auto->Equalize. Set to Normal at 50%. Result=
3. Duplicate your base again and drag it to the top. You will want to set this layer to color Color Enhance. Layer->Colors->Auto->Color Enhance. Set this layer to screen 100%. Result=
4. Make a new layer and fill it with #94c8f9. Set this layer to Burn at 50%. Result=
5. Merge all layers down to one. You will now only have one image in your layers dialog box. Result= (looks exactly the same as step 4 image)
6. Duplicate your base one time. We are going to use Color Levels on this layer. Layer->Colors->Levels. The only color that you are going to change is the red. Select red from drop down menu on the top left of this dialog box. Input Levels are Red=left slider at 48, and right slider leave at 255. Output Levels are Red=Left Slider leave at 0, and right slider at 168.
Once you have these levels hit okay. Set this layer to Overlay 40%. Result=
7. Make another new layer and fill with #121c6d. Set this layer to Subtract 60%. Result=
8. Make another new layer and fill with the same color as before (#121c6d) and set this layer to Screen 60%. Result=
9. Make another new layer and fill with #ffbe96 and set this layer to Soft Light 100%. Result=
10. Make another new layer and Fill with this pattern (I don't remember who made it). Set this layer to Saturation 80%. Result=
11. Make yet another new layer and use this brush (I think that I got it off of one of the GIMP help web sites. I don't think that it was made by anyone special person) make a few strokes to make the white portion of the icon. Leave this layer at Normal 100%. Result=
12. Now for the text. I used Rebecca font at 15px in this color #b78c73.
13. Make another new layer and in this layer I used this brush made by amethystia using the same color as my text #b78c73.
14. Flatten all of your layers together and sharpen it one more time at 20 power.
Finished icon. Tada
*to make it look a little more vibrant....after you sharpen in step 14 you can then duplicate you base and set it to Overlay 50%. Result=
I hope that you found some of this useful. Feed back is always welcome but is not a must, and I'd love to see what you end up with.
I have found that some of the earlier steps help with lightening up very dark screen caps.
Very nice! My result is not as good as yours - I made this with the same steps but different brushes - but that's my fault for picking a duff screencap, I think, and I'll certainly be using it again. Thanks!
Your icon is fine. Don't be so hard on yourself:) I am super happy that you made it your own. Originality Rocks! I honestly don't think that you will get the exact results as my icon anyway. Every base is different. Keep playing with the settings until it looks the way that you want it too:)