Today we will be going from this to this or this .
Knowledge of Gimp 2.10 is useful. Results with this tutorial will very. It really just depends on the original image.
Some other icons made with the same method.
1.I cropped my image to icon size 100x100 px, and sharpened it by 20 power. Filters>Enhance>Sharpen Result=
2.I duplicated my base and Inverted this layer. Layer>Colors>Invert Set this layer to Soft Light 100%. Result=
3. Flatten both layers together. Duplicate your new base again and set this layer to Dodge 100%. Result=
4. Duplicate your base again and bring it to the top of your other two layers. Set this layer to Darken Only 100%. Result=
5. On the Darken Only layer (same layer you just changed), you will need to change the color levels and set this layer to Auto. Very simple actually. Layer>Colors>Levels>Auto It is the the button that says Auto. This gives Anna a nice color change. Results=
6. Duplicate the layer from previous step and set it to Overlay 40%. Result=
7. Make a new layer and flood it with #fbdba9. Set this layer to Multiply 60%. Result=
8. Make another new layer and fill it with this pattern Made by Me:) Set it too Divide 100% Result=
9. Make another new layer and flood it with #c8d8f6. Set this layer to Burn 60%. Result=
10. Flatten your image and duplicate once. Set your new layer to Screen 20%. This just lightens the image just a little. Result=
11. Text layer....of course always optional. For my text I used Mulder Handwriting as my text of choice, in color #fbdba9. I then used this TT brush by wonderland in the same color as my text. Flatten all your layers and your done. Or you can proceed to step 12. Result=
12. (optional) You can leave your finished icon the way it is after you add your text to it. I wanted to give mine a slight foggy look to it. To achieve this effect once you have flattened your image duplicate it once. On your duplicated layer you will want to Blur it. Filters>Blur>Gaussian Blur Set your blur to 50 and hit okay. Now set this layer to Screen 100%. Flatten, save and your done.
I hope you found this enjoyable and useful. Comment are always welcome and encouraged. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.